Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas Break and Friends

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Given that we had just under 3 weeks to visit with all of our family in AZ (and that most of you are located there). I decided to forgo sending out the emails while we were on vacation.  But we're back in Dominica and ready to rock this semester!  With less than 3 months to go (yes, you heard that right "less" than "3" months... well, for Sadie and me at least, Lincoln will have 2 weeks more after we leave) Sadie and I start adventuring this next week!  It's amazing that after spending an entire year on this island, I still wasn't able to visit every spot on my "to see" list.

Since break was jam-packed with its own adventures, I'll have to apologize for the short text version. For now, you'll need to be ok with just the pictures and perhaps there will be some videos to make up for it later.

  • Arrive in Phoenix and get re-acquainted with Lincoln's parents
  • Drive to Tucson and spend the next week catching up with friends (this included the desert museum, I couldn't help but include some of the amazing hummingbird shots I was able to get).
  • Sadie got re-acquainted with Nathan, the first on what is bound to be a very long hit-list of Lincoln's.
  • Drive back up to Queen Creek to celebrate the Christmas Holidays
  • On Christmas day, drive all the way to St. David and arrive JUST in the nick of time to talk to my brother on Skype (he's currently serving a mission, Spanish speaking, in Idaho. For those unfamiliar with the way an LDS mission works, the missionaries are only allowed to call home twice a year, Christmas Day and Mother's Day)
  • Play around, have fun, and Sadie even made a new friend! (the other 2yr old girl in the photo)
  • Attend the awesome squelching of ASU Basketball by UA, Sadie was mostly just interested in the amazingly cheesy nachos.
  • Say Good-bye to wonderfully warm AZ and head back home to Dominica. (weird... "home" to Dominica? but yup, after living here for a full year, we most definitely claim this place as home right now)

To clear up a couple questions: no, the sentences do not adequately describe how much fun we had, but yes, they are in chronological order.

The nicest thing about climbing on a plane eastbound was that, this year, we knew what we were in for (as far as Dominica goes) I wasn't nervous about what the apartment would look like or where I would shop or trying to unpack everything to find bedding and comfort items the first night.  We had a layover in San Juan and Antigua, even though both places are plenty humid and warm, they lacked a certain something. As soon as we landed in Dominica, however, I had this very peaceful feeling come over me and I knew I was home.  I have to say, I wasn't really expecting to feel so at ease so quickly upon getting back home.  The car ride home from the airport is an hour long and on such a windy road that even I get carsick (no, I don't normally). But that night, as soon as we got in the car, Sadie immediately calmed down (she had been crying "no more p'anes mommy! no more p'anes! Home p'ease...") and even though she didn't fall asleep on the night car ride, she sat very calmly staring out the window the entire trip home.  Allowing Lincoln and I to also relax.

Such a great start to a New Year, I hope all of you experienced wonderful holidays and are ready to start the New Year as well!  Since I wasn't able to see a lot of you (and those that I did, it wasn't for a terribly long time) you should tell me what you all did for Christmas!  Any snow? New gadgets? See any old friends? Nothing? Well, how about a favorite tradition you have?  One thing Lincoln and I really failed at this year (and have been for a while...) is starting our own traditions. Sadie doesn't even know what a stocking is! Well, it's late and school starts tomorrow. Love you all!










P.S. I forgot to tell you about the newest Sadie-ism:
Crocodile (Croc-a-die-ew) - a large box with heavy, scary metal doors, that can transport you anywhere in seconds.

Ok ok, I realize this might need some explaining.  Sadie doesn't remember what an elevator is, when we encountered one for the first time it kind of scared her. Whenever I mentioned "elevator" she would say (in a deep Sadie voice) "Skehwee" (scary).  We walked up to one later and she said "No mommy! No ahwigater!"  Oh!!! She thought I said "Alligator" instead of "Elevator" (you have to admit, they sound very similar, especially since they both have large a apparatus that opens and closes suddenly). I chuckled and said "Sadie, that isn't an alligator" and she immediately countered with "oh... a crocodiew? Crocadiew! Rahr!"  How could I possibly correct her again? Especially when she's smart enough to know that an alligator and a crocodile look the same (to a 2yr old) but are actually different?  Happy New Year again, and good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will this next bundle of wiggles be a boy or a girl?