This is just a really short post informing everyone to check out my brand new website! If you tried checking it earlier today and got an error message, that would be because I was in "transition" mode. Below I will describe what happened. Feel free to choose the Engineer version (still fairly simple) or the Reader's Digest version.
Engineer:
I took a class on HTML and CSS coding, using the information used in the class I re-created my website from scratch to look more like I wanted it to look. I also wrote the script for every single page, in fact, the code writing is not done, there is still quite a bit of cleaning up and tweaking that I need to do (won't affect how the site looks though). The pictures used for the background and captions are also all brand new and were also edited and modified by me. Mathesonobserver.com had previously been hosted by Google. They do not allow for ftp access or html code editing, I then signed up for free hosting from dasfree.com (amazing, by the way, I highly recommend them to anyone looking to start a website). Even though I didn't like Google for managing the actual website, I still wanted them to manage all the email and other things for my domain so after I changed the nameservers to point to dasfree.com I had to re-enter all of the CNAMEs for the various parts of my site. Once I completed that, I still had to FileZilla to upload all of my nifty new website files to ftp.mathesonobserver.com where it finally made my site public.
Reader's Digest:
I changed the format and layout of my website, then I hit the "save" button and... Voila!
Please, PLEASE, give me any feedback you have on my website. If you use a browser other than Firefox or Internet Explorer please let me know what browser you use and how similar it looks to when you load it in IE (most computers have that automatically installed). If you don't have IE on your computer to compare it to then please let me know if anything looks "off" at all. I really appreciate it, especially since I've been staring at the coding forever and it all starts to blur together so I miss more and more every time I go through it.
Thank you for your feedback and enjoy the new look!
Totally forgot one of the coolest parts! if you go to our profiles page, you see three pictures. One with Lincoln/Sadie, one with Sadie, and one with Me/Sadie. If you click on the one with me in it you will be taken to my profile page, if you click on the middle one, Sadie's page, and if you click on the one with Lincoln in it you're taken to his page. Maybe that's not so cool to you, but when you're the one that wrote the code, you feel pretty awesome!
ReplyDeleteI can't even comprehend understanding and ENJOYING all of that coding like you and your mom, Scott, etc, do!! I love point and click and I just fiddle with color and space. Though I do wish I'd brush up on my HTML so I could fix some spacing issues—hey, maybe I could recruit you to tell me what I'm doing wrong on the cooking blog in the space dept! (check the sad cafe rio post here http://barbaraskatmaikitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/cafe-rio-salad-blackberry-cobbler.html)
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed that you can look at all of those characters and visualize what it will look like. Not me! That's why you all are engineers and I'm a lowly designer! Love you Michelle!!
p.s. we use Safari and it looks fine!
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me know about Safari.
ReplyDeleteWith the cooking blog, I looked at the code and there's a whole bunch of <span>blah blah</span> and <br /> that aren't necessary and is spacing it out. You can simply delete it (might be best to click on the "edit html" tab to do it. Let me know if you have trouble with that. I'm sure I can explain it better and point out the exact spot where it happens.
I love that you wrote the code for this yourself!! Amazing!! I'm using Firefox4 for mac, and everything looks pretty good, except the inner scrollbar on the blog portion is the length of the entire page, and doesn't move up or down. You have to use the outer page's scrollbar to move the blog. Maybe just deleting the inner scrollbar would remove the confusion?
ReplyDelete