Sunday, September 11, 2011

Autumn Break (the wonderful water adventure)

On August 26, Lincoln, Sadie, and I went with our friends Dr. Beevers and his wife, Kristen on a little water adventure all over the island. We went to three different locations: Freshwater Lake, Titou Gorge, and Screw's Spa.  We were originally going to travel to Titou Gorge and then to Screw's Spa but since it was just the 5 of us and our driver going, we decided to add one more stop to the day.  I'm so glad we did.  On the way up to Freshwater Lake, we stopped off to take pictures with some of the local mountains (forgot the name of this one, I have it written down somewhere)


When we arrived, we decided to rent kayaks for an hour, we were the only ones on the lake, it was so peaceful. The only problem was that Sadie kept wanting to dive out of the kayak and go swimming.
The only setback of the whole trip happened right after we finished kayaking. Sadie
became so excited walking back to the car that she started dancing and did a little leap-dive onto the ground. She cried for about 10seconds. I tried to get a picture of her frowning or crying but the silly girl kept laughing instead.  Ah well, I suppose I should be grateful that she's so tough.
.




We went straight from Freshwater to Titou Gorge (at the base of the Boiling Lake hike). The Beevers were nice enough to watch Sadie while Lincoln and I ventured into the gorge (water was rather icy and Sadie didn't want any part of it).






It was one of the neatest places I've ever been in my life.  As soon as you started swimming into the gorge you could see where the scenes from Pirates had been filmed. Light came into the gorge in patches through the trees and made the place seem almost imaginary. As if it didn't really exist, or we were dreaming.



If given the chance, I would definitely return to Titou Gorge.  After swimming around in ice water for an hour, we were all very ready for the warm pools of Screw's Spa.





Screw's is a place built around the natural hot springs found on the island.  They channel the hot and cold water into the pools in varying amounts to create different temperatures.  Here is a picture of Lincoln and Sadie relaxing in the hottest of the pools.  Below is a picture of me in a cold waterfall I found down near the end of the pools.  Very neat place.  Once again, I hope I'll be able to return one more time before we leave this exotic
place.


 
Kristen was kind enough to get me copies of all the pictures she took of us. (by the time we arrived at Screw's Spa, I had decided to set my camera aside and focus on making memories so it was nice that someone else was able to capture these special moments for me)

.

4 comments:

  1. so beautiful. thanks for sharing all the pics!! uh...except for the yellow one, as it looks like Lincoln "inked" in the pool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, ya, the warmer the water, the more yellow/orange it was. These were sulfuric hot springs and, as a result, the water was a bit off-colored. Felt so good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the gorge!! These are beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Will this next bundle of wiggles be a boy or a girl?