Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Scouting Trip to Dominica

Michelle wants me to write about my trip to Dominica, so...We flew from Phoenix to Dallas and onto San Juan, where there is a Best Western right in the airport. That was really nice because I didn't want to try to sleep in an airport chair for 14 hours. Then we got up early, caught our flight, and got to Dominica in the afternoon. After getting yelled at for taking pictures at the airport (apparently not allowed), we caught our ride to the hotel. We then decided to do some exploring and ran into some LDS students, one of whom we had a bag of stuff for. That night we had dinner at a local restaurant and had a very informative conversation with a pathology professor who happened to be next to us. It was really cool to get a student's and professor's perspective on the school and life on the island in general.

The next day, we took a tour of the school and surrounding area. We had lunch at the Subway on campus and ran into Travis again (the student we had the bag for) who showed us around campus a bit more. Then we called Havis (a local cab driver that we got to know pretty well), and he drove us all around the northern part of the island, including the Fort Shirley and the Cabrits. That was a really cool place, where we were able to learn a lot about the history of the island and take a lot of fun pictures. After that, we had dinner at KFC and then went swimming on the beach, which was RIGHT in front of our cabana. On Saturday, we went to Roseau, the capital, and toured the hospital and met up with a senior missionary couple. Saturday night, Travis and his wife Shantell were kind enough to invite us to dinner, where we had some pretty dang good homemade pizza. It was a fun visit, and we got to meet their two children, Tytan and Raylee.

Sunday was church and the journey home, which again included a stop in Puerto Rico. This time, however, we got to get out and see some of San Juan. In all, I took a TON of pictures, and they tell the story a lot better than I could. I just kinda put up a narrative of the trip here; for the illustration look at the album that Michelle has posted here somewhere. Bottom line, I missed my family like crazy, but I can't wait to get back down there and enjoy life on the island with them. At least until school starts, at which point life will get a little harder for me. I actually wished I could just have my wife and daughter teleported down there so I could have stayed and started school immediately. I know it is where we are supposed to be and I can't wait to move on to the next stage in life.

~Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will this next bundle of wiggles be a boy or a girl?